DC Apartment Tour: My BedroomAfter sharing my living room, I wanted to share my bedroom with you all. I went with a white/navy theme and really like how it turned out. I bought everything from West Elm, Wayfair, Overstock, and Amazon. In this post, I am sharing my tips for furnishing your apartment on a budget, buying a mattress that ships in 2 days in a box for under $200 that is like sleeping on a cloud, how to set up and shop for your smart home, and where to buy the exact pieces I selected for my room.
Here are my tips for buying furniture on any budget:
- Make An Inventory: What do you have? What do you want to keep? What can you sell? Make a spreadsheet of what you have, then make a spreadsheet of what you need and want.
- Make A Budget: Make a list of what you HAVE to buy and what you WANT to buy (and be sure to define what have to vs want to means to you). Look at your total number and start to tally up how much you are able to spend on each item. I made a section for each room, listed each item, and listed my budget for each piece. When I would find something I liked, I’d add it to the spreadsheet to see if I was staying within my budget.
- If you’re moving, register with USPS: If you are moving to a new place, you can register your move with USPS. They will send you a packet of coupons that you can’t find online (example: 10% Off up to $500 on Amazon). I was able to get most of the items at least 10% to 40% off. Once you get the discount codes, add the discount codes to your spreadsheets.
- Talk to Customer Service: Many of the furniture sites have customer chats. I’d often ask if they have any active discount codes if I could not find any online. You’d be surprised how many are willing to give you at least a 10% discount. You don’t know until you ask!
The Bed & End TablesWe wanted to tie in the navy from the living room into the bedroom, so we went with a velvet navy headboard. It took about 3 weeks to deliver. About two days after I ordered it, the price dropped by $200. Wayfair and their amazing customer service refunded me the difference. They are the best. My favorite part about the bed though is actually the mattress. We bought a queen size for less than$200, it delivered in two days, and it’s SO SO SO comfortable. Do you know when you have one of those nights where you wake up feeling refreshed? Since getting this mattress, I’ve had many of those. I was concerned that the memory foam would get very hot, but it does not. It stays nice and cool. I am really pleased with the quality to price ratio of the end tables. I did not want to spend a lot on the end tables, but I wanted them to match the dressers. I think these work perfectly and they were less than $150 each. I also wanted the lamps to match, but did not want to spend too much on these items, so I was excited when I found these mirrored lamps for less than $175 for both.
Smart HomeI work in tech, so I was really excited to set up my new apartment with smart home products. Alec got me the Amazon Echo for Christmas, so I have been researching compatible products. I also got the Philips Hue smart lights. The set up is really easy. You buy the Philips Hue Bridge and you plug it directly into your router. You download the Philips Hue app on your phone and as long as your phone is on the same wifi network, you can turn your lights off/on by using the app or by talking to the Amazon Echo by saying things like “Alexa, turn off the lights.” You can set your lights to more than 50,000 colors. Obviously, I do not use all of these, but as someone who really cares about lighting, this is a game-changer. I tried out the WeMo smart plug as well. It’s basically and outlet that you can control from your phone. I use it for my fan so it is scheduled to turn off and on at certain times. This product is good for basic electronics that just have an off/on switch. I’ve found for more complex electronics, it does not quite work.
The DressersWould you be shocked to hear that all of my clothes fit on that one clothing rack and inside of the West Elm Malone Campaign Chifforobe? Okay fine, I do have a coat closet too! The drawers are very deep and I love the shelves inside of the cabinet. Alec’s clothes are stored in the West Elm Malone Campaign 6-Drawer Dresser and he has the entire closet (not shown because it’s tiny. I do need a painting or TV above the dresser, but I have not found something I love yet.
How to Prioritize Your Shopping List
- Start with the Ground and Look Up: The first thing we purchased was a rug and a rug mat. Why? A rug frames the room and everything goes on top of it. It’s annoying to move everything out of the room if you buy one later. Also, my biggest pet peeve in home decor is rugs that do not fit properly. The general rule is that all of the furniture needs to be on the rug, or all of the furniture needs to me off of the rug. In my personal opinion, an oversize rug looks one hundred times better than a rug that is too small. A small rug gives a dorm-room vibe. A large rug feels very adult to me.
- Start with Storage: If you don’t have proper places to store your clothes, shoes, luggage, ect, your space is going to look cluttered. My top priority when deciding which pieces to buy first included the dressers. They are also the biggest purchases we made. To save money, we went with less expensive end tables (as opposed to the ones in the bedroom set).